Monday, September 19, 2011

Day 113

Went to a Senior Capstone lecture tonight on maternal morality.  It was a lot more depressing than I thought it was going to be.  As I write that I realize how ignorant it sounds, of course women dying in child birth or shortly after giving birth is tragic and depressing.  What I meant however is that I felt like the speaker went out of her way to try and shock the class.  Unfortunately so does every other speaker who comes to Fox.  Maybe an exaggeration but not by much.  After the lecture I turned to Ariana saying that I feel like speakers with a cause come and work so hard to shock students out of supposed apathy that the students are left callous and uncaring.  Kind of sad really but the shock and awe angle has been played to death.  Seriously.  Instead of caring about what the speaker has to say or the cause being championed the listeners slip into another kind of apathy due to overload.  They stop caring altogether.  I don't know how this can be changed other than people defending a cause need to be real with students and share some of the triumphs too.  (There may be a better answer but I'm tired and I don't know everything, shocking I know...)


My lovely seat mate!

No comments:

Post a Comment